OK.So here's the first post.
To start on a good note, here's a couple of the most common idioms I have to explain to my students:
To start on a good note, here's a couple of the most common idioms I have to explain to my students:
- Curiosity killed the cat.
- Green thumb
- I'm so hungry I could eat a horse!
- Raining cats and dogs
Ok, so not really an idiom, this one's a proverb, or an old saying. It means that curiosity is dangerous. It makes sense, right? Cats are very curious, and if we hear about a cat dying, it's usually because they did something stupid out of curiosity.
호기심이 고양이를 죽였다 (고양이가 호기심때문에 죽었다)
자, 이것은 숙어보다는속담이죠? 이표현은호기심이위험하다는듯합니다. 이해하죠? 고양이들이원래호기심이많고, 우리는고양이가죽었던이야기를들어보면보통죽은이유는뭔가궁금해서멍청한짓을하면서죽은거죠?

2. Green thumb
2. Green thumb
Alright, here's a tribute to my mom and plant-lovers everywhere. If someone has a "green thumb," it means they are very good at growing plants. It's like they have some magic in their hands that makes green things grow.
녹색엄지손가라
그래, 여기는우리어머니랑화분키우는사람들에게칭찬의표시입니다. 사람은"녹색엄지손가락"이있다면, 그사람이식물키우는능력이뛰어나다는뜻입니다. 그사람이마술을하는것같이식물을잘자라게시킵니다.
3. I'm so hungry I could eat a cow/horse!
This one is kind of borderline slang. Of course, the speaker is not talking about eating a cow or horse, but about that they could eat a lot of food. Like a whole horse or a whole cow. Cows and horses are big, so eating a whole cow or horse would be a lot of food. So they're saying that they want to eat a lot because they're so hungry.
나는 너무 배고파서 소(말)한마리를 다 먹을수있겠다!
이번숙어표현은조금속어편이네요. 당연히이표현을사용하는사람이말한마리나소한마리를먹겠다는표현보다그사람이음식량을아주많이먹을수있다고말하는겁니다. 말한마리나소한마리만큼.... 소나말이아주큰동물이죠? 그래서소한마리먹으면다량의고기먹는거죠? 그래서이표현을사용하는사람은자기가너무배고파서많이먹고싶은마음을표현하는것입니다.

4. Raining cats and dogs.

4. Raining cats and dogs.
Have you ever seen a rainstorm that was so heavy that just the sound of falling rain was very, very loud? This expression describes a very loud, heavy rain. Maybe it's like the sound of cats and dogs falling on a roof, which would be very loud. Or maybe it's just a silly random English expression.
고양이와 개가(하늘에서)비같이 내린다
비가많이와서그비떨어지는소리만시끄러울때본적있어요? 이표현은비많이오는아주시끄러운폭풍소리를묘사하는표현입니다. 이것은(비오는것)개와고양이가하늘에서옥상에떨어지는소리를표현하는것같습니다. 아주시끄럽겠죠? 아니면 그냥 이유없는 재미있는영어표현인가요?
No comments:
Post a Comment